Sunday, May 01, 2011

An engineer and a phenomenologist walk into an elevator...

On facebook I posed the following question that has baffled me every time I have waited in an elevator:

"Do 'Door Close' buttons in elevators really work, or are they just there to give us the illusion of control?"
I received two very different answers.

 From Alexander Miles, the inventor of the automatic elevator door:
"They interrupt a wait time and begin the closing procedure which is not immediate."
From Edmund Husserl, the father of phenomenology:
"They interrupt a wait time and begin the closing procedure which is not immediate."

1 comment:

Please provide a name or consistent pseudonym with your comments and avoid insults or personal attacks against anyone or any group. All anonymous comments will be immediately deleted. Other comments are subject to deletion at my discretion.