Thursday, September 08, 2005

what will i be today?

check one

  • caucasian
  • african american
  • asian
  • native american
  • polynesian
  • hispanic
everytime i get a job, everytime i do something for school, everytime i fill out one of these forms... i get to pick my race. pick one. not two. pick one.

the problem is i'm not a single race. my mom is from japan. my dad's ancestors come from all over europe (with a little pilgrim/native american hanky-panky along the side). which do i choose? which should i identify myself with? what will i be today?

usually i choose caucasian. sure it benefits me less, but when i wake up in the morning thats what i feel like i am. i look in the mirror and see some white kid staring back at me. i dress white. i talk white. i live white. yet, i'm not white. i get reminded from friends and family that i'm not white. i'm asian. i was raised with japanese culture. i love japanese food. i sometimes look japanese. i understand japanese. i use chopsticks.

if i can mark caucasian when i'm not or mark asian when i'm not, why can't i mark polynesian when i'm not? if i'm not any particular race, why can't i be whatever race i want to be. one of the greatest compliments i recieved was when i was in hawaii and someone asked me if i was local. this was asked by a tahitian friend of mine. i looked polynesian (dark and fat). i spoke like one. i dressed and acted like one. i pretty much wanted to be one. why couldn't i be one?

i've got asian and european genes in my blood, but what does that say about who i am? how does that define me? why should i care?

check one
  • caucasian
  • african american
  • asian
  • native american
  • polynesian
  • hispanic
i choose
  • none

1 comment:

  1. One of the more thoughtful things I've read in a long time.

    ReplyDelete

Please provide a name or consistent pseudonym with your comments and avoid insults or personal attacks against anyone or any group. All anonymous comments will be immediately deleted. Other comments are subject to deletion at my discretion.